8 super foods for fall:
Pumpkins: They’re rich in beta carotene, which may reduce the risk of developing certain cancers and heart disease. They may also deter some aspects of aging. Pumpkins are low in calories, fat and sodium, and high in fiber. The seeds are high in protein and are loaded with magnesium and iron.
Butternut squash: This is one of the healthiest vegetables around and also one of my favorites. Like other winter squash, butternut squash is high in vitamin C and beta carotene.
Pomegranates: are especially high in antioxidants, such as ellagic acid, that reduce inflammation, which may be a factor in both heart disease and many types of cancer. Last year, RD wrote about the study my colleagues and I published in The American Journal of Cardiology finding that pomegranate juice reverses the progression of coronary heart disease. Now there’s more good news: A new study found that pomegranate juice reduced the growth rate of prostate cancer. The juice improves blood flow to your heart and may promote blood flow to sexual organs, potentially improving sexual potency. Maybe that’s why Aphrodite, the Greek goddess of love, was credited with planting the first pomegranate tree on Cyprus!
Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which may help reduce the risk of heart disease, breast, lung and prostate cancer. Cooking helps activate lycopene, so tomato paste and sauce may be especially beneficial. Tomatoes also have vitamins A, C, E and potassium.
Bell peppers: The red ones, especially, may help boost your immune system. They are excellent sources of vitamin C (three times as much as oranges) and beta carotene.
Ginger: Ginger contains a compound called gingerol that may lower blood pressure and increase circulation. It may also help relieve migraines and arthritis pain by blocking inflammation-causing prostaglandins.
Kale, Swiss chard: These and other dark green leafy vegetables contain lutein, which helps protect your vision against macular degeneration and cataracts. Kale is rich in beta carotene, vitamins C, E and folate, as well as calcium and magnesium, important for strong bones. And one cup of cooked Swiss chard has about a third of your RDA of magnesium, which helps keep nerve and muscle cells healthy.
- thejourneyto reblogged this from acquiringfit
- to-be-healthy-and-fit likes this
- gettingskinny22 reblogged this from lifeofstrength
- strength-through-dedication reblogged this from mybeauty-inprocess
- itsheatherrae likes this
- fromgymtoslim likes this
- gettingskinny22 likes this
- lifeofstrength reblogged this from mybeauty-inprocess
- x3jasmiinee likes this
- prettyontheinsidexo reblogged this from mybeauty-inprocess
- caraface-cateyes likes this
- rouge-g reblogged this from mybeauty-inprocess
- losingweight-gettinghealthy reblogged this from mybeauty-inprocess
- livinglifeformemyselfandi reblogged this from yogi-health
- eyeofthewolf likes this
- calliope-wilde reblogged this from acquiringfit
- faithtrustand likes this
- freshman-negativefifteen likes this
- illkeep-upthepace likes this
- verybluebirdy likes this
- trytobethinner likes this
- acquiringfit reblogged this from queenbliss and added:
- siberiankisses likes this
- fitiswhatimgoingtobe reblogged this from californiarun
- pro-lithe reblogged this from fiercelittleblonde
- gaiaheals likes this
- healthysimplelife likes this
- queenbliss reblogged this from tauntingly-simple
- queenbliss likes this
- tauntingly-simple reblogged this from mirrorperfections
- thinnerthighsandkneehighs reblogged this from imdoingthisforrmyhorse
- meghanloves likes this
- mysteriousscorpion likes this
- imdoingthisforrmyhorse reblogged this from mirrorperfections
- 124lbs reblogged this from mirrorperfections
- hearingsecretharmonies likes this
- mirrorperfections reblogged this from californiarun
- californiarun reblogged this from yogi-health
- jamielivinhealthy likes this
- ology-km likes this
- misszoe likes this
- fiercelittleblonde reblogged this from yogi-health
- quoincasu likes this
- sjvandy likes this
- fatherfuror likes this
- sailing-away11 likes this
- stormnightstories reblogged this from yogi-health
- carolinebentley likes this
- upthestairsbackwards reblogged this from yogi-health
- healthy-happy-and-fit reblogged this from yogi-health